Donations Welcome

I am currently saving toward a new version of Paint Shop Pro. If you wish to help me out, then please donate.

Larger versions of images can be seen by clicking on the image. Also, thank you for your kind and encouraging comments. I love reading the comments. If you use my any of freebies, I would be overjoyed with a comment containing a link to your item. I love seeing any of my freebies in use.

Thursday, March 10, 2011

Round Scalloped Frame


I was asked to write a frame tutorial that was "other then the typical square, rectangle ones you always see tutorials for."  I'm not really sure what that means, so I decided to do a round frame.  This tutorial combines my picot ribbon tutorial and my circularize a linear element tutorial to show how to make a round scalloped frame in Paint Shop Pro.

1.  Open up a new canvas that is 3600 pixels wide x150 pixels high.  Select a color, gradient or pattern as your foreground material.

2.  Select the round brush.

Size = 150
Hardness = 100
Step = 100
Density = 100
Thickness = 100
Rotation = 0
Opacity = 100
Blend mode = Normal
Continuous = Unchecked
Wet look paint = Unchecked

3.  Click once on the left side of the canvas.  Try not to go off the edge of the canvas.


4.  Press the shift key and while holding it down, click once on the right side of the canvas.

5.  With the custom selection tool, make a 3600 x 75 pixel selection across the top of the canvas.




6.  Select the Flood Fill Tool and fill the selection with your foreground material.


7.  Ctrl + D to Select None.

8.  Resize the height of the image by 314%.


Width = 100%
Height = 314%
Resample = Bilinear
Maintain original print size = Unchecked
Lock aspect ratio = Unchecked
Resize all layers = Checked

9.  Enlarge the canvas to 3600 x 3600.

Width = 3600
Height = 3600
Placement = Center

10.  Use the Polar Coordinates effect (Effects > Distortion Effect > Polar Coordinates) to turn the linear element into a circular frame.

Rectangular to polar = Checked
Edge mode = Transparent

The benefit of this method versus using a preset shape is that when using a pattern, the pattern will also be wrapped in a circle.  I have demonstrated this effect with a grass pattern.


The frame is now ready for other effects such as shading or bevels.  If you want to duplicate the example in the preview, I applied an Inner Bevel with the following settings:

Bevel = 2
Width = 4
Smoothness = 74
Depth = 13
Ambience = 14
Shininess = 15
Color = White
Angle = 319
Intensity = 35
Elevation = 35

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for this great tutorial, I have been trying to learn new things with PSP and looking for a tutorial on how to do this.

    Lindajp

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great tutorials, Spencer!
    I particularly liked the one on damask patterns.
    juno
    xx
    Juno's Place
    Cards by Carol

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you very much ! very helpfull tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you so so much. I under-use PSP so badly - so thank you for this guide

    ReplyDelete